This is an informal project page for the BLM sponsored investigation of the use of remote sensing for determining the presence of unfrozen water. Unfrozen water may provide habitat for fish and other resources. This page is not currently public.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Moving Forward: Suggestion

Matthew...great, thanks for the update on the bathymetry data...hope we get that eventually. I had an idea on a way to move forward for the time being. I was reading back through your report from 2007. I was thinking that Rudi and I could look at SAR imagery of the sites you photographed for this report. If we can identify the crossing from the image, then we could look at a time series around these dates to see if we can calculate the difference in the ablation/breakup of the crossing point compared to the snow and later the river near that point. So, for example at site X1 on June 6, 2007:
1. Can we see the crossing in the SAR image from that day?
2. If so, how does the snow and ice distribution from this point vary in the 4 weeks leading up to this day and through total breakup of the crossing point?
3. Can differential ablation/breakup be calculated empiracally between the ice road & crossing versus the unaffected tundra and river?

Does this sound like a reasonable approach to start with? If so, I'll make a list of locations for Rudi and see what we can find.

Thanks,
jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment